Fischer is playing soccer again this fall and we didn't sign him up with any specific team, so when that happens, you kind of get what you get. So they emailed everyone asking for a volunteer to coach. Josh thought maybe I should do it, but I didn't really want to, so Josh said he would do it.
So he came back from the coach's meeting with the team roster. First of all, it was so funny the lack of information they give you. I understand privacy and all that, but a first name of ONE parent I don't think would hurt. You just get the kids names and a phone number, or alternate phone number if one was listed. So you're calling all these parents pretty much blind. But that's not really my purpose.
I also found it amusing that every name on the list was such that you couldn't tell which was their first name and which was the last name. Really, is the kid's name Jackson Tyler, or Tyler Jackson?
If you think about it, it's not a new thing to give your kids last names as a first name. It's been done for centuries. Since people didn't used to use last names, it was common to adopt the first name of your father as a last name. I think I've heard just about every first name also as a last name. Even Joshua as a last name, or Jensen as a first name.
But I was just as guilty as the others. It's a little known fact that, ALL of our kids' names come from last names. Even Katia we kind of rooted from an ancestor of Josh's with the last name of "Cate". So the next time Fischer plays soccer and Josh is NOT the coach, I will not think it weird when the new coach that calls me thinks Fischer is his last name, and not his first name.
3 comments:
Honestly, not one parents' name??? That's bizarre. Good for Josh to step up to coach... Hope it's a fun season!
Your so funny Angela... I guess because I've coached a couple of times and have seen those rosters I can LAUGH MY HEAD OFF!!! I had those same thoughts as I was going through the roster and thought, you know what?? If my kids name was first, last then I just assumed it was all that way! But I just asked for the Mom of so-and-so... ;p
It's funny to get messages directed to my children under 10 about their sports info.. though! ;p
Congrats to josh on taking on the coaching job .
Post a Comment