Friday, August 12, 2011
Scout Camp According to Anders
Anders wrote a note to everyone on his email list about his experience at Scout Camp, so I'm just copying and pasting.
This is my weekly note about scout camp. So if you want to hear about my scout camp, read on. If you don't care, just delete this email. This is the most detailed i will get about scout camp so you might want to read this for a full scale diagnostic
Enjoy!
Sunday, on this day i went to my ward for the last time. It was so sad to leave them. After church I walked through my house for the first time. It was interesting to walk through a wooden house with no walls, but had windows and a fire place. I got home ate some lunch. Then i walked upstairs to hang out with my grandparents (since i live in their basement). I played with my cousins Victoria, Savannah, and Aidan, plus my siblings. Had dinner played around then left. I left to my friend Ike's house for a sleepover. I regularly never have sleepovers but it was easier for me and my parents. On the way down my mom was making sure i brought all my specially appropriate needs for scout camp. Then we got to my scout shirt. I forgot my scout shirt so we had to turn around. Luckily, we were only in Lindon/Pleasant Grove when we realized it. We texted my dad to grab my scout shirt and check the rear lights. Then we called Ike's house to tell them that we were running a little late. We got back, grabbed my scout shirt and once again hit the road. We arrived at around 8:15 then settled in (kind of). Ike, his little brother Creed, and i played a game of ticket to ride. Even though i lost and struggled a lot throughout the game i had never played it before and it was really fun. After that we went to bed.
Monday, i planned to wake up and get ready to head for the church at 5:40am. Unfortunately, i was woken up ten minutes past and was rushed but left at 6:10. We got to the church ten minutes early so we unpacked the car and put our stuff on the lawn. Fortunately, people started to show up two minutes later. We left at about 7 and hit the road. We arrived at camp at about 8:45 then got a tour around camp. We got to our campsite and set up our tents. Then we met our councellor Mandi. After that we ate lunch and then the rain came. I rushed into my tent grabbed my poncho and rushed back out. Due to weather we had to cancel opening ceremonies. Soon the rain stopped and we hung out during the afternoon. Then we ate dinner and then met our troop friend whose name was Eric. Eric was really cool and to save time I'm just going to say that he was one cool cat. While he was there he told us about the two times this summer his troop tried to kill him. After that I took a CPR class and learned how to do CPR. Then we ate dinner and went to flag ceremony (supposedly the opening one.) Then we had a devotional then went to bed. In my opinion the tent organizing was cool. There was me, Ike, and another quiet person in one tent. Two people in one tent. Then all the five noisy people in a tent (not including the adult tent).
Tuesday, i woke up and prepared for the first day of merit badges. I had breakfast then had a flag ceremony. After that i went to merit badge classes. First was Archery, which wasn't too exciting. Then it was Canoeing which was a little exciting even though everyone thinks it was lame. All we did was learn how to paddle correctly, but there was no canoe action. After that i headed back to camp for lunch. After that I had more merit badge classes. Art was next, the class's goal was to complete two of six projects a day. I finished one and a half. Then I went to Soil & Water Conservation. There i learned about erosion, the water cycle, and water closets. Finally i had Enviornmental Science. I had three projects to talk about and then learn some definitions. After that we had free time. For half of free time I did two of my three Enviornmental Science reports the went to Archery. After that we had dinner, a flag ceremony, another devotional, then went to bed.
Wednesday, i had breakfast and a flag ceremony. I worked on my third Enviornmental Science project with one of my scouts. Then i went to Archery. At Archery i made an arrow. It was cool but really lame because we used super glue instead of wood glue so my mini, wooden arrow fell apart. At Canoeing, we swamped the learned how to get back into a canoe. After that i had lunch. Then at Art i learned that my second project i was in the middle of got destroyed in my backpack so I got the chance to start over. Luckily, i caught up on my projects. Then at Soil and Water conservation we talked about some stuff then at Enviornmental Science i talked about erosion and careers that in clude the subject. Then at free time i worked on Archery. I had dinner. Worked on my remaining Enviornmental Science project then viewed the lake with my troop for two hours. After that I gave a devotional then went to bed.
Thursday, i had breakfast and another flag ceremony. Then i went to Archery and did stuff. Then i did Canoeing and learned hot to do a T rescue. After that i had lunch. Then I went and finished Art. Did a service project for Soil and Water. Learned that Eric got locked in a shed. Then finished Enviornmental Science. I finished my third Enviornmental Science project then helped one of my fellow troops finish the same project. After the way back from turning the reports in we got stranded at the shower houses due to rain. It wouldn't let up so we had to run back to camp and try not to get to wet. Then i had dinner and a flag ceremony. After the flag ceremony we went to an amphitheater. On the way, another troop that was picking on fellow scouts in my troop began to pick on me. I kept on asking them to stop but they wouldn't so i got really upset. I told my scoutmasters about it and one of them talked to their troop. It was really a devastating and anguishing event for my troop. When got back we had a devotional and then went to bed.
Friday, we ate breakfast and had a flag ceremony. Then we had merit badge make up time. I tried to finish Archery but my bow would never cooperate so i failed. After that i went back to camp. Then i accompanied my fellow scouts in going places to ensure the buddy system. After that we had luch then did camp wide games. After that we had dinner then played ball tag with my troop. I thought it was hilarious when people missed me and i have no idea why. Then we had closing flag ceremony, a devotional, and went to bed. Or how the staff say "When you stuff your face in your pillow.
Saturday, i woke up packed then went home.
Well, that is what happened at scout camp. I got four merit badges. Canoeing, Art, Soil & Water Conservation, and Enviornmental Science.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This is awesome! Gives me some insight as to what happens there! Who did Anders go to scout camp with? Drew enjoyed his too and I think next time, I'm going to send him with a disposable camera! lol...
Great job telling about his days! I'm impressed. :)
Post a Comment