Friday, March 19, 2010
I have avoided joining this online friendship network for a long time. I have received pressure (albeit light pressure) from lots of friends and family to join. I've weighed the pros and cons. I've had people who told me they liked it because they could reconnect with some old friends. I know lots of people that share their pictures through this format. I can see it has value. I like to think that I embrace technology and it's advances, but how much technology and ways to communicate do we need? I watched a chick flick with my sister (more than a few months ago) and my favorite part was when Drew Barrymore's character says, "I had this guy leave me a voicemail at work, so I called him at home, and then he emailed me to my blackberry, then I texted his cell, and now you just have to go around checking all these different portals just to get rejected by seven different technologies. It's exhausting." I just love that part. It makes me laugh. Anders told me I shouldn't join because someone I don't know could ask to be friends with me and that would be dangerous. I feel like I'm a private person and somehow I felt like if I joined facebook I was putting myself too much "out there". But, I joined, so now you can all be my facebook friends!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
That quote is so funny!! AND so true. When it comes down to it... check blog, check fb, then email and of course all day long texting!! LOL
tell Anders that you have the choice of accepting friends on facebook or rejecting them. If someone sends you a friends request and you don't know them, you hit ignore and you wouldn't have to worry about it.
Except you may worry about who they are and why they want to be friends with you because it may be someone you do know, but don't remember. ;-)
All in all, FB is alright.
I'm curious though, what did sway you to join?
And I love this post. Love the quote. Love Anders' concern...
I think Anders is a 25 year old trapped in a 10 year old body. Very grown up concern for you! Love FB. I have loved fining old friends with the exception of a crazy ex-boyfriend.
Well, I joined, but hardly ever check it!?! It can be fun, tho'
Post a Comment